Looking for Something? Search here:

Monday, July 07, 2008

Dumpling wrapper


Beef Dumpling
My dumpling fascination has come to a new level, I like freshly made dumpling wrapper or dumpling skin. It tastes so much better than the ready-made ones. I have the almost transparent dumpling skin recipe from a magazine, but it is not working!! The dough was way too gooey and there is no way I can knead it. Either the food writer is not the cook himself/herself or there might be some misinterpretation from Chinese to English version of the recipe. Although the recipe is written in English and Chinese, there might have been errors in between. Or maybe the some people are just not generous to share the right recipe.
Hence, its time to experiment again!
This experiment is just like playing play-doh.. I feel like a kid in the kitchen. I had this silky white dough as in pristine white. Quite happy with it, at least if my dumpling skin fail, I had fun!
Objective: to make transparent dumpling skin
The result of my dumpling skin is a little bit transparent, but not transparent enough as I wanted it to be. I realized that it is the tapioca starch which is making it transparent; so next time, I will decrease the amount of cornstarch
Posting this experiment for my record, so that I could come back and from time to time and check where did I went wrong and avoid having the same mistake again.
Filling
¼ kg. Minced beef
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 Tablespoon flour
Salt
Dumpling skin
1 cup corn starch
1 cup tapioca starch
1 tspt salt
1 Tablespoon shortening
1 cup boiling water

Procedure:
Filling: Mix the ingredients altogether and pulse for 2 minutes using a blender or food processor until the mixture is fine and well combined.
Dumpling Skin:
In a mixing bowl, put corn starch, tapioca starch and salt, add boiling water slowly while mixing with chopstick or with the wooden spoon handle, continue mixing until the starches come altogether forming a dough.
Set it aside until the mixture is cool enough to handle.
Bring mixture altogether while still warm and knead adding the shortening by portion until well combined. Dough becomes silky white and elastic.
Shape the dough like a log, roll it making longer until about 1 inch in diameter.
Cut the dough into small portions and roll it with the hand; achieving a marble size dough.
In a slightly floured surface, flatten the dough as much as you can with a small rolling pin. Separate each skin with a sprinkle of flour.
Wrap : To wrap the dumpling, put a teaspoon in each skin and seal the skin by pressing the edges creating pleats.
Cook: Steam the dumplings for 15 minutes in a bamboo steamer.
Make the Sauce: Mix soy sauce, lemon and few drops of sesame oil.
Serve Hot with soy sauce.

conclusion: lessen the amount of cornstarch next time.
texture: a little bit stretchy when cooked.
taste: good, but it can be better

6 comments:

Mike said...

I've not had steamed dumplings since I was in China. Must try making them soon. Great Blog!
Mike

SteamyKitchen said...

thanks for the wrapping lesson! can't wait to explore more of your recipes.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun making them. They look yummy! Also glad you could stop by my blog. Nice to see you there. Can't wait to see your cupcakes. ;-)

Have a great week!

Paz

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love the new look of your blog! Great job!

Paz xxoo

Grace Ediza Virlouvet said...

thanx guys ..looking forward to check ur recipes as well...

Cris said...

Wow thanks, i've searched so much for this transparent skin for dumplings!

Popular Posts