Looking for Something? Search here:

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Smoked Salmon Battleships



Smoked Salmon battleship

When I made this, I didn’t know what I put myself into. I intend to follow the recipe of Susie Donald’s “Quick & Easy sushi and Sashimi” mini cookbook. The recipe says preparation time is 20 minutes and assembling time is 15 minutes. However, for me it took me 2 hours to do this. At first I was enjoying having the things in my working place. I find it very hard to shape the sushi rice into small oval shape. Anyways, while I was doing it I thought of setting up the table in Japanese style with chopsticks. Well it wasn’t realized at all because we ended up eating at the working table coz it took me too long to make these battleships and I was quite exhausted. So forget about the set up! It is far difficult than I thought. Roll up sushi is a lot easier than these battleships. Anyhow, blame it on my taste buds! They love to wander around the world by having a taste of every corner! Okay! Confession: I love Japanese foods and this is just one of my attempts trying Japanese cuisine at home.

I served it with pickled ginger which is optional.

Ingredients:

6 strips smoked salmon
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon wasabi paste
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked Sushi rice
4 sheets nori, toasted and cut into 1 inch strips
1 cucumber

Procedure:

Dice smoked salmon into small pieces. Mix mayonnaise with wasabi paste, add the diced smoke salmon and add freshly ground black pepper; set aside. Slice cucumber thinly and place it on kitchen paper then pat dry to remove excess moisture.

To prepare sushi rice, see my old post of crab sushi here.

Take 1 tablespoon of sushi rice and form into an oval shape. Place the rice oval on a flat surface and wrap a strip of the nori around its sides, leaving the top and bottom uncovered. The nori should be about 1 cm ( ½ inch) taller than the rice. Spoon the prepared salmon filling on top of the rice and assemble cucumber on top of the salmon like battle ships.



I also made chicken battleships at the same time. Grilled chicken breasts. I just added wasabi paste and mayonnaise on top of the sushi rice and arranged the chicken breasts on top like battleships.

Everything was great except that I spent long time preparing small stuffs! In short, good foods can not be rushed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good foods can not be rushed!

completely agree.. basta lami hinay hinay gyud...

but heck 2 hrs of prep then less than half an hr they disappear..

am in dillemma now my VEGETARIAN FRIEND IS ARRIVING ON XMAS... goodbye roast pork and goose!

Kai said...

Yum! I luv sushi!

Popular Posts