Looking for Something? Search here:

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Stif-fried Flat Noodles




Here’s a hit for the night! Stir-fried flat noodles. I used to make pancit or the normal egg noodles and used to put soy sauce, but this time, I like it differently as I’m avoiding the smell of soy sauce, strange as it may sound but blame it on baby on my belly.

I used flat noodles which I happen to grab from the super market even if I don’t have any plan of doing something with it… I guess I was curious with different types of noodles I saw from the Chinese noodles in the shelves of various shapes, and it stayed in my pantry untouched for quite some time. (picture below)



Anyways, I had a handful of the following ingredients that went along with it:

Sweet peas
Red pepper/capsicum (sliced thinly)
Green pepper/capsicum(sliced thinly)
Button mushrooms (sliced thinly)
Garlic (sliced thinly)
Onion (sliced thinly)
1 chicken breast (sliced thinly in strips)
Cabbage (sliced thinly)
Pechay (sliced thinly)
Oil for stir-fry
1 cube chicken stock (dissolved in ¼ cup hot water)


The trick with stir-frying is to keep everything ready at your side coz everything happens so quickly. It’s a different way of doing it the way I used to before, like everything will go in the woke and estimate the amount of liquid to be absorbed by the noodles which I usually end up either with the noodles sticking at the bottom (lack of liquid) or the noodles are over cooked and soggy coz I put too much liquid. Well, now, I learned how to do it perfectly.

You will need 2 pans at the same time, 1 deep pan to boil water and a woke for stir-frying. First, bring to boil about a liter of water in the deep pan, while heating the woke.

Sauté onion until soft, add the garlic and mushrooms. Stir-fry until the sides of the mushrooms had turned brown, add chicken and continue stir-frying. Keep it is important to keep the ingredients moving. On the other hand, while the water is boiling, you are ready to blanch the vegetables. Use a slotted ladle to do this. Blanch the sweet peas into the boiling water in a few seconds and add to the woke, blanch cabbage and add to the woke, blanch the white part of the pechay, add to the woke, blanch the green part of pechay add to the woke, add the pepper/capsicum to the woke, whilst stirring constantly after each addition, add chicken stock and continue stir-frying. Add the noodles to the boiling water and boil for a minute; do not over cook the noodles. Drain and add to the stir-fried vegetables. Continue cooking for 2 minutes more and you’re done.

Handy tip:
In stir-frying, add ingredients with the harder in texture first and the leafy ones last so that everything will be cooked at the same time. Hard vegetables like sweet peas needs a little more time to cook than cabbage.

1 comment:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Thanks for stopping by my place. Glad you enjoyed my bread.
I always love to eat stir fry but never have much luck doing them myself.

Popular Posts