Looking for Something? Search here:

Monday, December 11, 2006

Steak Tartar


Steak Tartar

One of the most unforgettable dish that I love in Paris. At first I was quite hesitant to have it because it is fresh ground meat, fresh as in raw meat! But then I was quiet relieved when hubby explained to me how strict the Department of Health in France is when it comes to meat products. He convinced me about sanitary issues so I did try.

The steak tartar was prepared in corner of the restaurant where it is visible to the diners. On top of a small table were the ingredients, namely; capers, finely chopped onion, egg yolk, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard,yellow mustard, raw minced beef, freshly ground black pepper and salt. The waiter just simply mixed all ingredients in the bowl by making a well at the center of the minced meat, add the yolk, capers and mustard and mixed it vigorously with 2 forks and folding in the meat. With the pepper grinder,the waiter added pepper and salt every now and then to season the meat nicely and finally, added a splash of cognac. In 3 minutes, the steak tartare was ready infront of me! That was quick and easy! It tastes delicious! I'm surprized how fresh the meat was. It doesnt smell like meat at all but the taste was great! The sharp taste of the dijon mustard and other mild flavors in it is just so nice. Well, I ended up loving it and in fact I made it the point to be the last meal I had before I left Paris.

It is something I couldn't have in Philippines unless I grow my own cow and be there the moment it is butchered and make the tartare right away! You know what I mean? The tropical temperature in Philippines makes meat rancid quicker than in cooler countries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really adventurous of you to try it! But I'm sure I will try it, too, given the chance.

Popular Posts