Looking for Something? Search here:

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Egg Tart



My first attempt of making egg tart. It wasn’t too bad, except that we both consumed 18 tarts for just hubby and me. Thinking of all the butter, eggs in it is not healthy.

It was a trial and error for me coz I don’t have recipe to follow but I was sure of the pastry would work coz I have tried it many times on a larger tart. Lately I used the same with APPLE TARTE. The only thing I wasn’t sure of was the egg mixture which was a guess by what I’ve tasted in some café. It wasn’t too bad but it was not perfect. The filling fluffed up a little bit and hollow at the bottom. Now, I know where I went wrong. I didn’t put water in the egg mixture. Hmmm, there’s always room for improvement. They taste great however; it was just the filling that wasn’t the same as what is available in the cafés around here. I have to do it again and that time, I’ll post the proportion. For the sake of “record” I have to post what I’ve done to avoid the same slight mistake. This yielded 18 tarts.

Note that the pastry has to be made in advance.

Ingredients

Filling:

3 eggs

1 cup evaporated milk

¼ tsp. vanilla essence

½ cup white sugar

Sweet Pastry Dough:

½ Cup and 1 Tbsp. margarine

½ cup icing sugar (sifted)

1 egg

2 ½ Cup All Purpose Flour

1/8 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. vanilla essence

Procedure:

Make the Sweet Pastry Dough:

1. In a mixing bowl, mix margarine and icing sugar until creamy, add eggs and mix for another minute until soft and creamy.

2. Add flour and baking powder. Continue beating.

3. Add vanilla essence

4. Bring the mixture altogether to form a dough and mix with the hand.. Form the dough into a ball, Cover with Plastic Clingfilm and refrigerate for an hour.

5. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.

6. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and knead on a floured surface. Divide dough into 3 portions. Divide each portion into 6. Place each small portion in 1 tart mould and push to the bottom and sides to form tart shells.

7. Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients slowly with a wire whisk taking care not to make the mixture bubbly.

8. Pour the filling mixture in each tart shell until ¾ full.

9. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 20 minutes or until the filling has completely set and the tart shells turn golden brown.

Note for next time: for the filling; Add ½ cup water and reduce milk by ½ cup.


No comments:

Popular Posts